In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
This sandwich was a great idea. I mean, who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? Sausage links and waffles with maple syrup – this sandwich had everything going for it. Until I actually made it.
It turned out, um, odd. The combination of syrup and cream cheese tasted weird, almost curdled. And the waffles never crisped up – they got a little soggy. Based on this experiment, I think I’m going to abandon the chicken and waffles grilled cheese sandwich idea. Sorry, the South.
For general grilled cheese tips, visit the inaugural grilled cheese sandwich post.
- 2 waffles
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 breakfast sausage links, cooked
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture on one waffle and top with sausage links.
- Close it up and butter the outsides of the waffles.
- Griddle on high heat until the cheese is melted and the waffles are golden brown.