In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
One day I dreamed that I could bring together a cinnamon roll and a grilled cheese sandwich. The resulting Frankenbreakfast was everything I dreamed it would be, and more.
Dense, eggy challah bread was an excellent choice to duplicate the sweetness and pillowy texture of a cinnamon roll. And oh, the filling! Warm, sweet, gooey cinnamon perfection. The Neufchatel gave it a lovely tang, like cream cheese frosting. And the brown sugar melted right into the cheese for a silky smooth consistency.
Is it breakfast? Is it dessert? Does it matter? Make. This. Sandwich.
For general grilled cheese tips, visit the inaugural grilled cheese sandwich post.
- 4 slices challah bread
- 1½ ounces cream cheese or Neufchatel, softened
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Walnuts pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture on 2 slices of challah and sprinkle on walnuts.
- Top each sandwich with the plain challah bread slices and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on high heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.