In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, I’m posting a different grilled cheese sandwich every single day through the month of April. You’re welcome.
While I’m not the biggest fan of tomato soup, I certainly appreciate the classic combo of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, with American cheese on white bread, of course. I had a blast brainstorming potential grilled cheeses, and I was positively tickled by the idea of making a sandwich with the tomato soup inside. And it worked! The sweet, tomato cream cheese filling melted into the American cheese, and the childhood taste-memory was uncanny.
For general grilled cheese tips, visit the inaugural grilled cheese sandwich post.
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1½ tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of onion powder
- Combine cream cheese, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Top each slice of bread with American cheese.
- Spread two slices of American cheese with a thin layer of cream cheese mixture.
- Close it up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
- Griddle on medium-high heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.