RSS Feed

Sweet and Spicy Turkey
 Grilled Cheese Sandwich

April 1, 2012 by Bake Up, Little Suzy

Sweet and Spicy Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich open
I’m kicking off National Grilled Cheese Month (yes, this is a real thing in the world) with a lesson in balance. My first grilled cheese has it all: crispy, golden-butter bread; gooey, salty jack cheese with spicy pops of jalapeno; savory, herbaceous turkey tenderloin; and a sweet glaze of strawberry jam.

Sweet and Spicy Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich open
And since this is Grilled Cheese Post: The First, I’ll lay down a few ground rules I like to follow in my own grilled cheesing:

1. Begin with 2 slices of bread that are roughly the same size and shape.
  2. For even toasting, butter the bread (on the OUTSIDE of the sandwich), not the griddle.
  3. Top the bread with cheese. For optimum meltage, nothing should come between the cheese and the bread.
  4. Keep sauces and condiments in the center of the sandwich to avoid sogging the bread.
  5. Grill sandwiches with hard cheeses over low heat to avoid burning the bread before the cheese melts. Dome if necessary.
  6. Grill sandwiches with soft cheeses over high heat to toast the bread quickly before the cheese liquefies.

These are only guidelines. Grilled cheese means never having to say you’re sorry.

4.8 from 4 reviews

Sweet and Spicy Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Author:
Recipe type: Sandwich
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Servings: 1

Sweet, salty, spicy, and savory — the perfect grilled cheese!
Ingredients
  • White bread
  • Butter
  • Pepper jack cheese
  • Turkey (I used 4 slices herb roasted turkey tenderloin)
  • Strawberry jam
Instructions
  1. Top each slice of bread with cheese.
  2. Add the turkey and spread on a thin layer of jam,
  3. Close it up, and butter the outsides of the bread.
  4. Griddle on medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.

29 Comments »

1. What a great flavor combo! I love adding sweet to unexpected things. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week, Happy Easter and please come back soon!

2. Lisa says:

Oh my does this look scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

3. Paige says:

Thank you so much for linking up to the Recipe Party @ The Sweet Spot. This looks great!

4. Erika says:

National Grilled Cheese month?! How did I not know this?! This just looks delicious, too!

5. I love grilled cheese. I had not idea there was a grilled cheese month. I actually have a grilled cheese post I have put on the back burner that I might need to post now this month.

I actually have been broiling my grilled cheese. Hopefully it still counts as grilled cheese. It is much easier for me and the cheese melts much better.

6. Elise says:

There’s a grilled cheese month? No way! Grilled cheese is definitely my all time favorite sandwich. This recipe looks so good!

7. Shiloh says:

This looks SOO delicious! And I am so excited that it’s grilled cheese month. What a fantastic excuse.;)

8. Thanks for sharing this at Must Try Monday. I’ve been pinning some good grilled cheese recipes. Have you signed up for the Mom’s Crazy Cooking Challemge? Her upcoming challenge is Grilled Cheese. Im going to pin this for inspiration!

9. This looks great, pinned to try for Mom’s Crazy Cooking Challenge

10. TRISHA says:

you can’t go wrong with grilled cheese!

11. J says:

YUM! I love grilled cheese and can’t believe that there is a month dedicated to it! Even more reason for me to eat Grilled cheese! This looks so good, I will have to try it! Usually I just put american cheese with tomatoes and thats it.

12. Grilled cheese month — who would have thought?? I love “optimum meltage”! Certainly a criterion for good grilled cheese! I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

13. Randi says:

That sounds so good … I’d like one right now. The sweet and spicy combination sounds perfect.

14. Miz Helen says:

I would just love this sandwich with that yummy strawberry jam, this is a great sandwich! Hope you have a wonderful Easter Celebration and thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

15. joyfulmom says:

I was 20 when I first tasted turkey (fried), I didn’t like it. Maybe its high time I taste again by way of your turkey sandwich.

hope you can visit me, too: http://diningsofjoy.blogspot.com/2012/03/casa-armas.html

16. Kim Campbell says:

Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Simple Sunday! Hope to see you again this week!!

17. andi says:

Sounds pretty yummy andi

18. I love grilled cheese, classic comfort food!

19. Kim Campbell says:

Thanks for stopping by Sweet & Simple Sunday! You will be featured this week so stop by and pick up a button!!!

20. Audrey says:

Yum!!! I love grilled cheese sandwich month!

21. I am so excited for Grilled Cheese Sandwich month! Thanks for sharinf at Scrumptious Sunday!

22. Tito Eric says:

Would make a delicious snack or mid-day meal!

23. Leah H. says:

I like this, yummy!

Visiting for FTF- hope you can stop by:)

24. Jam! I would never have thought of that either. Another awesome one! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

25. […] mine too, you will LOVE it ! Let’s go toward something sweet with Galley Kitchen’s Sweet and Spicey Turkey Grilled Cheese Now it’s time for some Dessert! How about Cupcakes and Kale Chips […]

26. […] LOVE it !       Let’s go toward something sweet with Galley Kitchen’s Sweet and Spicey Turkey Grilled Cheese     Now it’s time for some Dessert! How about Cupcakes and Kale Chips […]