RSS Feed

Chocolate Cherry Napoleons

February 12, 2012 by Bake Up, Little Suzy

Last night I made a special Valentine’s Day dinner for Handsome Greg.

Valentine's Day Napoleons
He arrived at 7:30 sharp, looking handsome as ever, with a bottle of wine, the sweetest Valentine ever, and a box of heart-shaped chocolate truffles. I, on the other hand, was still wearing my bathrobe and slippers, having only just emerged from the shower. Dinner was a good 45 minutes behind schedule, but I managed to buy a little time by convincing Greg to drop the gifts and take out the garbage. (Yeah, he is pretty much the nicest guy in the universe.)

Valentine's Day Napoleons3

I knew Saturday would be a mad rush — preparing a special dinner is an all-day affair for me, and I lost a big chunk of time earlier in the day at my web programming class. So, I planned to simplify preparations by following a complicated dinner menu with a mostly store-bought dessert.

And it was a good thing I did. Once we finally ate dinner, dessert came together quickly and easily. I’d cut out the pastry hearts earlier and they were waiting on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the fridge. After dinner I popped them in the oven, heated the cherry pie filling, made the ganache, and dessert was warm and flaky and squishy in no time.

Continue reading for the Chocolate Cherry Napoleons recipe

5.0 from 5 reviews

Chocolate Cherry Napoleons
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Servings: 4

Tender, flaky heart-shaped pastries are filled with sweet cherries and drizzled with chocolate ganache. An easy, yet elegant, Valentine’s Day treat.
Ingredients
  • 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
  • Cherry pie filling
  • 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 ounces heavy cream
Instructions
  1. Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet, cut out hearts, and place hearts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate until needed.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake pastry hearts for 14 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed.
  3. Heat the pie filling in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  4. Place the chocolate in a small mixing bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
  5. Split the hearts in half lengthwise. Fill with cherry pie filling like adorable little sandwiches, and drizzle with chocolate ganache.
  6. Share with your sweetheart, then kiss maybe.

17 Comments »

1. Lisa says:

These look sinful! I’d love for you to share them at Mix it up Monday:

I hope to see you soon :)

2. cindy says:

Puff Pastry is a life saver. Your can have an elegant dessert in no time. this dessert looks yummy.

3. Poppi Linn says:

That dessert looks wonderful and so easy! I have puff pastry in the freezer-I may have to make a batch.
    -Lynn

4. Greggy says:

Sooo good!

5. TRISHA says:

Wow, thanks for linking up. I came right here first as I thought your recipe sounded awesome and I was RIGHT! Love it – I appreciate having you in the Tea Party linky!!! Take care.

6. Sheryl says:

Oh My Gosh! YUM! Please come over to Cast Party Wednesday and share this awesome recipe. Thanks. I hope to see you there! –Sheryl–

7. mjskit says:

What a great idea! Love these little treats!

8. Jonnique says:

Thanks so much for linking up to TasteThis Thursday!!!

9. Yummy! I would love for you to link up to my linky party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

10. Jo says:

What a great, simple dessert. I could eat a tray of these!

11. Miz Helen says:

Your Chocolate Cherry Napoleans look delicious, this is a very special dessert. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

12. Kristi says:

These look delicious!! Wish I could have one right now! Very creative! Thanks so much for linking this up with Mop It Up Mondays at i should be mopping the floor last week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

13. Heidi says:

These look divine!! This was featured today at {Junk in their Trunk}…thanks for linking up each week!!

14. [...] The photo above is Chocolate Cherry Napoleons from Galley Kitchen. [...]