Delicate swags of broccoli buds. Tender-crisp morsels of gently braised potato. All swathed in a cheesy cream sauce perfumed with the salty smoke of thick-cut ham.
OK, who am I kidding? It’s just a casserole. But still, it broke my heart.
This morning I scraped spoonful after lovely, heaping spoonful of my hearty casserole into the garbage.
I made this recipe on Saturday afternoon for a week’s worth of lunches. Luckily I sent a couple servings home with Handsome Greg on date night, and I had a serving myself on Sunday, because the rest of it was spoiled when my refrigerator broke down Sunday night.
I called maintenance as soon as I realized my fridge wasn’t properly fridging. The ham put up a valiant fight, but it was too late to save the noble hotdish. I was left with a fridge full of rotten food, and nothing to eat. So much for saving money. Jimmy Johns for dinner. *sigh*
Continue reading for the Cheesy Ham, Potato, and Broccoli Casserole recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (10¾ ounce) can cream of broccoli soup
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 1 pound smoked ham, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 7 small russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes (6 cups diced)
- 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the dill, onion, water, soup, and sour cream; whisk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.